Friday, March 21, 2014

the propinquity effect (proximity)

The propinquity effect is the tendency for people to form friendships and romantic relationships with those whom they encounter often, forming a bond between subject and friend. -Wikipedia

Well duh, right? Obviously those that you spend most of your time around are bound to lead to some form of a relationship. The other night I was hanging out with a friend that I have known since high school and we were sitting on my porch. In between the two chairs on my patio is a little table for drinks. At one point he pushes the table forward and slides his chair to be next to me. Closer. He wanted less space between us. Hence the proximity effect. Or at least my version of it. Needing a closer proximity to someone than is provided. There have been times, with certain people in my life that even being as close as you can possibly be wasn't close enough. I wanted to do the Matrix trick and jump inside them. Yeah, it sounds a little creepy but if you have an opportunity to feel it, I highly recommend it. It's a little scary but totally worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment