Monday, October 24, 2011

Love and Marriage?

Marriage has long been considered the "next step" for most relationships. Some women consider it the holy grail, while most men consider it a death sentence. I have talked to a lot of people lately that have decided that they aren't even considering it. My old boss said it best; he said that marriage is only necessary if you plan on having kids. He said that it was a contract just like any business agreement and it should be treated as such. He said to pick someone that's a good person, someone that you would want as a friend because all of the romance and lust fades away and you are left with friendship. I used to be one of those people that looked at marriage as more of a romantic venture. I thought that everything would change from that beautiful day walking down the aisle. I thought that it was an emotional, physical and spiritual adventure with someone that you adore but the truth is that life isn't always champagne and roses. I suppose I sound very cynical right now and I'm not discounting it for everyone. I just think that living in our world now leaves so many options that it can be difficult for people to stay deeply connected to one another. I now think that if you love someone, you shouldn't have to show it with paper. Even if you have children, you can always have a written agreement concerning them but marriage doesn't have to be the answer. I read an article recently that said more and more couples are considering swinging in their marriages and actually trying it out. Not that this is a new thought, but this is a prime example of people wanting options and I'm not sure that works in practice. I bet there are people out there who can rationalize these things and go on with their lives afterward but I don't think most people could get beyond something like that.
 Maybe it's all a mind set. If you get into a relationship, as two willing participants, you should be able to end it as adults, marriage or no marriage, but people can be ruled by their emotions and this isn't easy to control. I'm just posing the questions. I don't have the answers but I'm glad that people are speaking up about this. It shouldn't be taboo. 
 I would love to hear your opinion. Is marriage necessary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment